POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : File formats for height_fields : File formats for height_fields Server Time
11 Aug 2024 09:24:13 EDT (-0400)
  File formats for height_fields
From: Scott Stewart
Date: 5 Oct 1999 10:17:06
Message: <37FA07F1.8C5A5FA2@houston.quik.com>
Wow! What a treasure trove of POV-ray people!  I have spent the last
hour going over hundreds of messages.  I still haven't found an answer
to what you may call a very simple problem.

I want to create reefs for an underwater scene.  It seemed logical to
use a height_field so I created a bitmap image to use as my height_field
but POV-ray will not recognize the file type.  I can't find a bitmap to
targa converter.  Am I approaching this all wrong?

height_field {
sys  "reef.bmp"
   pigment {White}
   smooth